The founders of Science2, who are academic chemists, are currently
creating the first journal of the association that will be called Chem2 (www.chem2.org). It is a chemistry journal based on high scientific standards. This shall be ensured by a rigorous peer reviewing process based exclusively
on high scientific quality. This journal will be “open access” and the “benefits” from the publication fees will be dedicated entirely to the training of young scientists.
The Science2 directorate honestly believes that this innovative “open access” model will serve
to make the best use of public money and eventually reinvest it into the future of Science.
Why publish with Science2?
- A guarantee of top quality: Science2 is
committed to publishing high-quality innovative research. From the very beginning, a prominent level of quality will be ensured, with the goal of achieving impact factors equivalent to some of
the best current multidisciplinary journals of the corresponding fields. All scientists involved in Science2 are active top researchers in their field (see Association Members)
- Promote open access: Science2 wants to
contribute to making research results freely accessible to all society, in return to its efforts in maintaining high quality research programs for the advancement of knowledge.
- Revert back the funds collected to science: The strict and transparent non-profit character of Science2 has stimulated an original model that reverts back to Science the benefits from article-processing
charges (APCs) through training grants for early-career investigators. While a program of conference travel grants for young co-authors of Science2 papers will be implemented immediately, PhD and postdoctoral grants will follow.
- The peer reviewers of our journals know that they are working exclusively for the scientific community, evaluating great
science (all manuscripts received being initially assessed by the editors; see below), and aware that the benefits from published papers promote the training of talented young researchers
- Authors have the option to implement blog on their published article at the journal’s site, so that their results can be discussed together
with colleagues and collaborators.
Submitted manuscripts will undergo initial assessment to ensure that they meet the publication high standards of the journal. A manuscript will be returned to the
author(s) without being forwarded to reviewers if one or more of the following specifications apply:
- the work is of poor scientific quality
- the novelty of the work falls below that expected
- scientific misconduct is detected
- the quality of the English in the manuscript is poor
- (scanned) copies of all characterization files/data (such as elemental analyses, NMR Spectra, Mass spectra, CIFs, etc.) are not provided as Supporting
- the manuscript falls outside the scope of the journal
- the manuscript contains redundant data or significant amounts of information that has already been published elsewhere (or is under consideration by another
- the paper represents undue fragmentation of the research into multiple reports
- the conclusions of the work presented are well known or have already been described in
The first journal of the association will be of chemistry, but the other areas of science
(physics, biology, computational science and so on) will progressively be represented through the creation of the respective journals.
The funds raised by Science2 will be used for the creation of
international Masters, PhD and Post-doc fellowships addressed only to excellent candidates. The latter will be carefully selected by the administration authorities of the concerned countries.